Lululemon Athletica (LULU) delivered a harsh public rebuke to founder Chip Wilson’s proxy campaign Monday, characterizing his views as “outdated” and highlighting “troubling conflicts of interest” while shares continue their 43% year-to-date decline.
The athleisure company’s first significant public counteroffensive marks an intensification in the corporate governance fight that may affect investor sentiment before the June 25 annual meeting.
Key Takeaways
- Settlement talks collapsed after Wilson demanded full campaign reimbursement
- Company defends incoming CEO Heidi O’Neill against Wilson’s criticism
- Proxy battle weighs on guidance amid North American sales struggles
Market Context and Pressure
Lululemon’s equity has lagged the wider retail sector, dropping 43% this year versus a 12% decrease in the SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT). The Vancouver-headquartered retailer has encountered growing headwinds including tariff effects, softening U.S. consumer spending, and heightened competition from brands like Vuori and Alo Yoga 1.
The proxy fight introduces additional uncertainty as the company works through what analysts characterize as a critical turnaround phase. UBS analyst Jay Sole projected Lululemon will require “at least a year’s worth of time and effort” to restore its U.S. operations to sustainable expansion 1.
Settlement Breakdown
Previous week’s settlement discussions exposed the extent of disagreement between Wilson and existing management. Lululemon proposed appointing two of Wilson’s three board candidates and establishing an advisory product council, an increase from an original offer of one appointment 1.
Wilson declined the proposal, seeking additional concessions including authority to replace directors if his nominees left and complete reimbursement for his campaign expenses. The company deemed these conditions unacceptable, causing negotiations to fail.
Leadership Defense
The company launched a robust defense of incoming CEO Heidi O’Neill, who will assume leadership in September following nearly 30 years at Nike (NKE). Wilson had questioned her appointment, asking whether “a near 30-year veteran of Nike is not the symbol of transformative, creative-first leadership” required to revitalize the brand.
“During the months-long interview process, Ms. O’Neill distinguished herself through a rare combination of deep industry, product, and brand experience as well as her strong track record of both transformation and growth at scale,” the company said in its shareholder letter 1.
Board Battle Lines
Shareholders will select between competing slates at next month’s meeting. Lululemon’s nominees include former Levi Strauss CEO Chip Bergh, former Unilever executive Esi Eggleston Bracey, and former Gap finance chief Teri List.
Wilson’s candidates are former ESPN marketing officer Laura Gentile, former Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg, and former On co-CEO Marc Maurer. The company faulted Wilson’s nominees for insufficient public company board experience and having limited apparel industry backgrounds.
Financial Impact
The proxy contest arrives as Lululemon reported disappointing fiscal 2026 guidance and cautioned that both tariffs and the governance dispute would squeeze margins. With annual revenue projected to surpass $11 billion, the company retains its position as the leading athleisure brand in the U.S. by market share, commanding approximately 20% of the market 2.
Wilson’s 8.4% holding, currently valued at roughly $1.7 billion at present prices, has fallen substantially from peak valuations. He had previously expressed his view that Lululemon should have reached a $100 billion market capitalization by 2023.
Not investment advice. For informational purposes only.
References
1Gabrielle Fonrouge (2026-05-18). “Lululemon takes battle with Chip Wilson public, calls founder ‘misguided’ and ‘outdated'”. CNBC. Retrieved May 18, 2026.
2Phil Wahba (2026-03-14). “Inside Lululemon’s founder’s war with the board he says is killing his brand”. Fortune. Retrieved May 18, 2026.